Data Collection Tools & Resources
Data Collection Tools
Data collection for research related to disasters and public health emergencies may need to be quickly organized and approved. To assist researchers in timely selection of data collection tools for medical and public health research, the NIH Disaster Research Response (DR2) Program has compiled the database Disaster Research Response Data Collection Tools.
Other Resources for Identifying Tools
These resources may be helpful in identifying data collection tools that can be used for disaster-related research. Some of the resources are collections or databases of data instruments, such as PROMIS or PhenX. Some are datasets, like Harvard Dataverse, that may include the data instrument used to create a dataset. And some, like Disaster Lit or ELRHA Publications, contain research reports that may include data instruments in a table or appendix, or provide a citation to the instrument.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
- Disaster Lit ®: After searching a topic in Disaster Lit, the results can be limited to documents that “Include Research Tools.” Do a search, scroll down on the left under “Refine Your Results” and check the box for “Includes Research Tools.”
Also available from Disaster Lit:
- All Data Collection Tools from DR2 (320+), which are also in the DR2 Data Collection Tools database
- All Disaster Lit documents that include research tools (400+)
- All Disaster Lit documents that include research tools and are not listed in DR2 Data Collection Tools (70+)
- Health Services and Sciences Research Resources (HSRR): Research Instruments used in health services research, the behavioral and social sciences, and public health
- NIH Common Data Elements (CDE) Repository. Provides detailed descriptions of data elements that can be selected to build surveys.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Studies Branch
- Preparedness and Response for Public Health Disasters
- Disaster Epidemiology
- Public Health Surveillance during a Disaster [Description]
- Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response (CASPER) [Description] [More about CASPER from Disaster Lit]
- Disaster Epidemiology: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) [Description]
- Public Health Assessment and Surveillance after a Disaster [Description]
- Emergency Responder Health Monitoring and Surveillance (ERHMS) [More about ERHMS from Disaster Lit]
- Harvard Dataverse The master index for thousands of dataverses and datasets from academic institutions.
- Dataverse Project homepage
National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Toolbox for the Assessment of Neurological and Behavioral Function [Description]
- PROMIS (Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System) [Description]
- Neuro-QoL: Quality of Life in Neurological Disorders [Description]
- Assessment Center [Description]
- HealthMeasures (Includes PROMIS, Neuro-QoL, ASCQ-Me, and NIH Toolbox)
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research
Enhancing Learning and Research for Humanitarian Assistance (ELRHA)
- Publications (contains all research and reports funded by ELRHA Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises (R2HC)) [Description]
If you know of a resource to recommend or have other feedback on the tools, please contact us at email@example.com.