Training & Exercises
The NIH Disaster Research Response Program encourages development of a network of trained, deployable “Research Responders.” Like all responders, researchers need training to be effective in their disaster roles. DR2 has conducted major tabletop exercises on incorporating data collection and research into disaster response and recovery. Training resources are also available for preparing scientists to conduct research in the post-disaster field environment.
Training Resources for Disaster Researcher Deployment
The NIEHS Worker Training Program provides occupational safety and health training on hazardous materials for disaster responders and workers, including researchers. Additional materials are listed by the National Clearinghouse for Worker Safety and Health Training.
Federal Emergency Management Agency Emergency Management Institute (EMI)
The FEMA Emergency Management Institute provides over 200 online training courses on all aspects of preparedness and response listed in the Independent Study Program Course List.
From Disaster Lit
Exercises by the Disaster Research Response Program
- Disaster Research Response Exercise, February 28-March 1, University of Arizona, Tucson
- NIH Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise, Boston, MA, July 19, 2016.
- Houston Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise, Houston, TX, February 16, 2015
- Disaster Research Response Project Tabletop Exercise, Evaluation Report, Houston, TX (1MB)
- A video summary is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EA1cchKVc0. The video is closed captioned and a transcript is also available.
- Disaster Research Response Exercise, Port of Los Angeles. April 7, 2014
- Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Report (PDF, 3.17 MB)
- Disaster Research Response Project Tabletop Exercise: Planning Committee Exercise Manual (PDF, 1,540 KB)
- Participant Exercise Manual: Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise (PDF, 1.49 MB)
- Video, LA Disaster Research Response – Outreach is Key!!
- Presentation slides for March 24, 2014 webinar overview of the tabletop exercise for participants (PDF, 9.32 MB)
NIEHS Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Assessment
NIEHS conducted three tabletop exercises in Los Angeles, California (2014); Houston, Texas (2015); and Boston, Massachusetts (2016). To better understand the impacts of these exercises on federal, state, and local stakeholders, NIEHS conducted an assessment of the exercises.
July 2016 Boston Tabletop Exercise
- Tabletop Exercise invitation letter
- NIH Disaster Research Response Workshop Participant Manual: Boston, Massachusetts, July 19, 2016
- NIH Disaster Research Response Workshop Report: Boston, Massachusetts, July 19, 2016 [Description]
- Disaster Research Response: Learning from Disasters. This eight-and-a-half minute, closed-captioned video calls for more research into the health impacts of disasters, and integration of research with response. It goes on to describe the activities of the NIH Disaster Research Response program.
- An Environmental Justice Story: Chelsea, Massachussetts. This eight-minute, closed-captioned video uses the example of the Chelsea waterfront, where industry has had a negative impact on the nearby waterways and community for decades, to illustrate environmental injustice. It describes how neighborhoods have a direct effect on residents' morbidity and mortality, and how environmental justice can improve public health.
- Exposure: Research and Training for Emerging Health Threats. This 10-minute, closed-captioned video marks the 50th anniversary of the National Institue of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) and the 30th anniversary of the Superfund program and the Worker Training program. It describes some highlights of their activities over the decades, e.g., research into the health effects of the World Trade Center collapse and the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
2015 Houston Tabletop Exercise
- Disaster Research Response Project Tabletop Exercise, Evaluation Report, Houston, TX (1MB) [Description]
- NIH Disaster Research Response Project Houston Tabletop Exercise. This six-minute video summarizes the Houston exercise. It is closed-captioned and a transcript is also available.
- Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Major Findings Report (3MB)
- Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Webinar Presentation (9MB)
- Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Participant Manual (1MB)
- Disaster Research Response Tabletop Exercise Presentation (686KB)
- A video summary is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7b50-PKbCg&feature=youtu.be